Thursday, June 25, 2009

There is a time when you are right and you know you must fight...

One dollar a minute. That is how much my tiny 7 year old hands would get paid for a back scratch to my older brother. Pop a pimple or two and maybe I would get an extra dollar. I could have made a small fortune I suppose. But I guess the task was too much for me to handle because the minutes seemed like hours and I was rarely ever able to go more than 2 minutes at a time. My single dollar bills were stacked and rolled on the top draw of my dresser ready to be spent. It was the winter of 1982-83. I walked my way to the back section of TSS department store and I was about to make my first purchase with my hard earned money. And there was no doubt in my mind where those 8 dollars were about to be spent. A double sized album cover with glossy centerfold and unforgettable hours of listening on my red and white record player. I could never moonwalk, never got to buy the red jacket with the zippers, never had a single dazzling glove... but i was non the less as fanatical as I could have been in my indifferent adolescent mind. After all it was 8 dollars and it was my first L.P.... 'Thriller'.

No comments: